Every Food Business Operator is required to be licensed/registered under the FSSAI. FSSAI Registration is required by small businesses like hawkers, petty retailers, etc whose annual turnover is less than Rs.12 lakhs per year. All food businesses exceeding this annual turnover limit of Rs 12 lakhs per year require a FSSAI License.
“FSSAI State License and FSSAI Central License are issued to food businesses based on their size whether it is a medium scale or large-scale. Usually, large manufacturers, exporters, importers, etc obtain Central Licence while mid-sized entities like transporters, traders, etc need State Licence”
To be more elaborate, any individual or a company that operates with food substances from farm to plate must obtain the FSSAI food license. A more detailed list of those who require FSSAI registration Certificate is here:
- Food chains
- Food sellers and resellers
- Dairy and dairy processing
- Food importers and exporters
- Processors like pickle and dry fruit maker
- Raw material suppliers to food businesses
- Retailers & establishments who have a retail outlet
- Simple transporters who transfer items from one location to another
- Canteens in corporations, schools, colleges, hospitals or government institutions
- Packaged food manufacturers who produce items such as biscuits and ready to eat products
Storage units and warehouses require a food safety registration instead of a production license.
FSSAI license types in India
According to the FSSAI Act, 2006 all food businesses are required to be registered/licenced:
- FSSAI registration: This is the primary kind of food license and it is issued for:
- Businesses that are small in turnover – 12 Lakh INR approximately
- FBO that is at the budding stage like a dairy with a capacity of less than 500 ltr/day.
- Trades like tea shops, canteens, food processors and small warehouses ideally require this licence. It can be upgraded when the business begins to expand in capacity and profit.
- The State Licence: Companies that have a profit greater than 12 lakhs and less than 20 Crores INR require the state license.Some examples are:
- Dairies with a capacity of over 50,000 litres/day
- Hotels with a 3-star rating and above
- FSSAI registration: This is the primary kind of food license and it is issued for:
An exception here is the catering business. Irrespective of their turnover, they have to apply for a state license and not a basic FSSAI license.
- The Central License: The above to licences were for small and mid-sized trades. The central registration is for bigger businesses. It is issued to:
- Companies that supply food to government offices and departments.
- Trades that have a turnover of over Rs. 20 Crores.
- Food import and export commerce
Significance of FSSAI license number format
A 14-digit food license will contain a State Code and registration.
Every food package must have a label. This label should mandatorily contain:
- The logo of FSSAI
- License number
How can we help in FSSAI Registration and Food License? Why Vakilsearch?
Vakilsearch provides an end-to-end service for food licensing and FSSAI registration. Our promise to every food product business is:
- FSSAI Registration at the least time frame
- Comprehensive help with FSSAI online application filling
- Guidance on selecting the right food license type
- Hand-holding through the entire registration procedure
- Solution to all your questions and concerns
At Vakilsearch, our guiding principle is to guarantee that your food business begins as soon as possible and as seamlessly as practical.
Non-compliance with FSSAI regulations
Non-compliance with the FSSAI regulations can prove to be costly. Production and distribution of food products without the FSSAI registration or license will incur a severe penalty and may cause risk to your brand reputation.
Food inspections will be conducted by Food Safety Officers and compliance levels will be granted for the food business. Compliance will be graded as below –
- Partial Compliance
- Not Applicable/ Not Observed (NA)
In accordance with the above markings, the Food Safety Officer might issue an improvement notice. The officer might also cancel the license if the standards are not maintained even after warnings.
In addition to this, if the FBO is not satisfied with the Food Safety Officer’s improvement notice, they can appeal to the State Commissioner of Food Safety. Their decisions can also put to a challenge via an appeal towards Food Safety Appellate Tribunal / High Court.
Benefits of Acquiring FSSAI License:
FSSAI license and registration help businesses in the following ways:
- Consumers are becoming more aware of the quality of the food which they eat, thanks to the digital era. Having a valid FSSAI license helps businesses in enhancing their credibility.
- The FSSAI logo is widely recognized and hence it can ensure goodwill among consumers.
- Streamlines all the processes involved from manufacturing to distribution and sale of the food products.
- Makes food manufacturing more dependable on science-based principles.
- The important aspects of hygiene and cleanliness are regulated and followed when FSSAI registration is involved.
- FSSAI license or registration provides a platform to produce quality food products that are on par with international food standards.
- FSSAI license positively influences the dependability and production of the company, thus giving it a huge chance to expand and grow.
- FSSAI license is important for exporting food products to other countries.
- FSSAI is also responsible for setting guidelines and procedures for quality assurance of the accredited labs as per ISO17025.
FSSAI license validity:
FSSAI license rules are hard and fast. FSSAI licenses issued to food businesses are valid for a period of 1 to 5 years. It is mandatory to apply for license renewal 30 days before the expiry of the existing license. Non-renewal of licenses can fetch a fine of Rs.100 per day until the renewal is done . Any lapse in renewal within the stipulated date can result in the old license becoming defunct and businesses will have to apply for a fresh license.
Guidelines to be followed for FSSAI License Number:
Similar to the guidelines for FSSAI license, there are certain rules for FSSAI license numbers.
- The FSSAI logo and license number must be displayed clearly on the label of the food package in a color that is in contrast to the background.
- If multiple units are involved in the production process, the brand owner’s FSSAI logo and license should be printed on the package with the address of the other units displayed on the label with FSSAI license number.
- There is no exemption for imported food products from following the FSSAI guidelines. It is mandatory for the importer’s FSSAI license number, name, address and FSSAI logo to be pre-printed on a label or sticker and affixed to the imported food product before it can be given customs clearance.
- It is compulsory that the guidelines given for the height of the letters and numerals of the license number shall remain as prescribed in 2.3.3 of Food Safety and Standards (Packaging and Labelling) Regulation ,2011. Similarly, the Regulation 2.6.1 of the Food Safety and Standards (Packaging and Labelling),2011, must be applicable to display FSSAI license number and logo.
- The FSSAI logo should not be taken as a certification of any kind. It solely denotes that the FBOs’ license is valid under the Food Safety and Standards Act of 2006.
FSSAI Rules And Regulations For The Food Industry And Food Businesses:
- The FSSAI registration and license must be on prominent display on the premises of the business affixed with passport size photo of the person under whose name the license is obtained.
- It is the responsibility of the food business operator to inform the FSSAI authorities of any change or modification he/she plans to make in the food business.
- It is mandatory that atleast one person with technical skills is employed by the FBO to supervise the production.
- Annual returns for a period extending from 1st April to 31st March of the consecutive year must be promptly filed before the 31st of May of that year.
- FSSAI licensees must strictly adhere to the conditions given for food preparation, processing and storage.
Guidelines To Modify FSSAI License And FSSAI Registration:
- All necessary documents must be duly submitted while applying for a modification approval.
- Form C is an important document that must be filled with the necessary criteria to seek approval for changes or modifications in the business. Form C can be used to add a new business to the already existing one, change details like addresses, contact numbers, product names,etc.
- Designated officers in the FSSAI department can help with the filing process along with some support from professional liaisons.
- The NON-FORM C MODIFICATION is to support all other information and documents.
- The FBO must also submit necessary evidence and proof of change along with all the applications. All submitted documents and forms will be subjected to scrutiny by the Designated Officers or DO. Any query or objection raised by the DO , must be answered by the FBO within 30 days along with additional information and documents if necessary.